Improve Required Learning
We have come across firms spending up to 100% of their L&D budget on ‘Required Learning” (essential Regulatory training and material generally required to perform a given role) where much of the training is simply a repeat of what was delivered the previous year and no real attempt is made to ensure employees learn and/or retain the essential information.
Where the employer insists that employees sit through the same (boring and often patronising material) every year and takes a little test at the end of each module as a step to better required learning. You will not believe the stories we have heard in our travels.
- “The Directors just get their PA’s to log in and do the stuff for them”
- “We do it all together in the Board Room and share all the answers just to get it done as quickly as possible and then we can get back on with our work – required learning?”
- “With our one when you get the question wrong it gives you another chance and another chance until you get it right so its just a case of pressing whatever button takes your fancy as you are going to get them all right eventually”
- “As a senior manager I have 16 of these Required Learning things to do every year, and you can’t like fast forward the material so you start the module and I open a bottle of wine and put the rugby on and whenever it asks a question I just guess till I get it right”
- “We have a (great big) list of people who haven’t completed their modules and HR have to hunt them down and end up having to threaten them with all sorts of sanctions just to get people to complete the exercise”
What a waste of everybody’s time and money and how boring is that and oh, and by the way, nobody is learning from this except maybe how to complete the material in the least obtrusive and the most painless way! This is sometimes the result of ignorance, sometimes legacy practices and sometimes just plain old cynical cost cutting. Required learning?
If some or all of the above comments resonate with you in some way and you are looking for a smarter, more employee acceptable solution that actually guarantees that your employees will learn and retain what the Regulator needs them to know then you may want to learn more about why Clever Nelly is an award winning alternative to doing it so badly! http://elephantsdontforget.com/compliance-training-finding-compliance-training-providers/